Iron Horse Bicycle Classic Veterans Celebration Registration
Ride on the train that races the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic’s Citizens Bicycle Race from Durango to Silverton. Enjoy lunch at the race finish, and be our special guest at a Memorial Day themed Ceremony in Silverton’s Memorial Park.
Presented by The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad, and organized by the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic, this day of fun, celebration, and comradery is FREE to Active Duty Military, Veterans, and Military-affiliated Gold and Blue Star parents / spouses / family members / friends.
Arrival and Parking Information:
- Plan to arrive at the D&SNG Station by 7:00am on May 27th. Bike race activity may make downtown more congested than usual, so plan accordingly.
- Check in with the volunteers when you arrive. Coffee & breakfast treats will be available.
- Parking - http://www.durangotrain.com/dsng-parking
- We suggest using the D&SNGRR lot on College Drive
- Cost is set by D&SNGRR
- The train boards at 7:15am and departs precisely at 7:45am. If you are late, the train will not wait. Your train will be “racing” the IHBC Citizens Bicycle Race to Silverton.
- Volunteers will meet the train in Silverton and direct you to ground transportation for a short trip to Memorial Park – The Iron Horse Bicycle Classic finish line – where:
- A box lunch will be served (Meat or Vegetarian option available).
- A ceremony honoring service will be held.
- Following the ceremony, return transport will bring you back to Durango.
Inclement Weather Note: Our event will proceed regardless of weather conditions. While we hope it's sunny and warm, be prepared for rapidly changing and cold weather conditions in Silverton. Please make sure to bring appropriate clothes to deal with high country weather conditions (cold, possible snow/rain, and wind).
Frequently Asked Questions:
Do I need to show proof of service, military ID, etc to participate?
No, we do not require proof of service or special ID, but this event is intended for military connected participants.
Is my registration a guarantee that I will have a seat?
Registration will be handled on a first come, first serve basis, but you are not immediately guaranteed a spot on the train simply by completing the registration form. We will contact you to confirm your attendance as soon as possible and a waiting list will be created if it has to be.
I would like my family of 4 to participate. When will I know whether additional guests are able to join?
We hope to know whether additional guests can join your party by May 1, 2023 when registration is intended to be closed. We will make attempts to include all attendees if possible.
What type of lunch options are available?
The lunch will be a box/bag style and include a sandwich of some variety such as Ham and Cheese, Tuna Salad, Chicken Salad, Roast Beef, or a Veggie option. A lunch will be provided for every attendee.
Will we be riding in open or closed Train cars?
Your seat will be in an enclosed train car but you have access to open cars during your trip and are welcome to move around. You will be seated with other attendees and special guests of the event - We hope you take some time to get to know the other Veterans and Military family members that you will be seated near.
What are the return trip options?
Return transport back to Durango is provided by the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic Organization via bus. You will be dropped off in Durango ~3pm at the D&SNGRR Parking Lot.
You may choose to arrange your own transportation from Silverton, but you will need to have that vehicle in Silverton before the road closure commences on Saturday morning. Route 550 between Purgatory and Silverton are closed due to the bike race from ~7:45 – 1:30. Plan accordingly.
Where should we park?
We suggest using the D&SNGRR lot on College Drive (see map).
COST: $10 / vehicle.